Holy Name Cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago, one of the largest Roman Catholic dioceses in the United States. It is also the parish church of the Archbishop of Chicago.
Holy Name Cathedral replaced the Cathedral of Saint Mary and the Church of the Holy Name, both destroyed by the Great Chicago Fire in October 1871. The cathedral was finally dedicated on November 21, 1875. A cornerstone inscription still bears marks from the murder of North Side Gang member Hymie Weiss, who was killed across the street on October 11, 1926.
The first feature that greets worshipers are massive bronze doors designed by Albert J. Friscia that weigh 1200 pounds each. The doors introduce the overall “Tree of Life” theme with intricate details that serve to make the doors look like overwhelming planks of wood. The doors possess a hydraulic system that allows them to be opened with the push of a finger. Beyond the doors is a vestibule encased in glass.
Albert J. Friscia (July 22, 1911 – September 2, 1989), was an Italian American sculptor. His important works, include the massive bronze doors of Holy Name Cathedral, and the altar in St. Peter’s Basilica, Rome.
[quoted from Wikipedia]